This week’s question comes from professional organizer Karen Pivnick of Topcat Relocation Transition Solutions: “How do I get more Twitter followers?”
First, I want to remind Karen and everyone reading this that as a business owner, when you’re trying to get more Twitter followers, your focus should always be on quality and not quantity. Your ultimate goal should be along the lines of trying to build a community with your Twitter account, where like-minded individuals and businesses can exchange ideas, share resources, shoot the breeze, and ultimately refer and exchange business.
That said, here we go!
1) Write a good profile – Don’t just describe your business, describe who YOU are and mention the characteristics and skills you have that will attract the kind of people you want to attract. Remember Twitter only gives you 160 characters to write your profile so be focused!
2) Post great content – Give people a reason to follow you; that means you have to post great content. It can mean interesting blogs, photos, videos, memes, etc. you find on the web, or better yet, content that you have created yourself. Just keep asking yourself, will my followers dig this?
3) Post with purpose – Always keep your ideal follower in mind; your tone and language should reflect the kind of people you want to attract (just as in real life). For instance, if you’re a personal trainer trying to attract a following in the Health and Wellness industry, you might not want to tweet about that burrito you inhaled last night.
4) Be well-rounded – I mention this at the risk of contradicting myself! While you want to post with purpose, you also don’t want to come off as a one-dimensional character, preaching the same message over and over again like a broken record. People like to read about people’s flaws and foibles; they like to know there is a human behind the Twitter account. So, if you happen to be that trainer who inhaled a burrito, confess, laugh about it and tell your followers you’re about balance anyway.
5) Retweet – Retweeting is an easy way to share great content, but it is also a way to get noticed by influential content creators. By helping them spread their words of wisdom, they might reciprocate and help share your awesome tweets… which could ultimately mean more followers for you.
6) Relax and converse – Remember it’s social media. So while you don’t want to be that person who has to tell everyone what they had for lunch everyday, feel free to mention that you’re excited about the season finale of a certain show, or that you’re trying out a new restaurant in the neighbourhood. If someone responds, by all means jump into a conversation, you might make a Twitter friend. People want to do business with people they know and like at the end of the day… so don’t just stick to robotic business tweets, be yourself and let your awesomeness shine through!
Got a question about social media? Post it in the comments section or email me at Nishi@NightDay.ca and I might answer and mention you on my blog!